Every website is a website, right? That’s wrong. A poorly designed, outdated, confusing, broken website that doesn’t follow any SEO guidelines will do nothing good but instead harm your brand. I am not saying it might harm your brand, I am saying it will harm it.
How then can you get it right in order to meet an international standard? The success of your awesome website can be nailed right from the onset. But what then is web design, actually? And how can you get it right?
In this article, we will learn what web design is all about, why it is important, what a good website looks like, and many more.
What is web design?
Web design is a process of conceptualizing, planning, and building a collection of electronic files that determine the layout, colors, text styles, structure, graphics, images, and use of interactive features that deliver pages to your site visitors. It encompasses everything from planning and layout to graphic design and coding.
A web designer needs to have a strong understanding of user experience (UX) and visual design, as well as HTML, CSS, and other web development technologies.
Creating a successful website requires a team of talented individuals with different skill sets. The most successful websites are those that are planned and designed with the user in mind.
Not only that, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) must not be an option in any web design process. It is a mandatory requirement in our time today. A website that does not follow SEO standards ends up in Google and other search engines like a dead Vulture lying somewhere deep down in the forest. No one will find it.
The different types of web design
There are three types of web design: static, dynamic, and responsive. Let’s explore them in more detail.
Static web design: It is the most basic type of web design, and it is usually used for informational websites that don’t require frequent updates. The content on a static website is written in HTML code, which means that the content can be easily accessed by search engines. Static websites are easy to create and typically cost less than other types of websites.
Dynamic web design is more complex than static web design and it uses server-side scripting languages such as PHP, ASP.NET, or Perl to generate dynamic content. Dynamic websites can display different content each time they are loaded, which makes them more flexible than static websites. They are also more expensive to create and maintain because they require special software and hosting services.
Read Also: Benefits of Blogging for Small Businesses
Responsive web design is the latest type of web design and it allows a website to adapt its layout to fit the screen size of any device. Responsive websites use media queries to detect the width of the device they are being viewed on and then adjust the layout accordingly. This makes them easy to use on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
What is the most important part of a website?
There is no single part of the website that is not important. However, some elements are more important than others. The content on a website should be well-written and informative. The design should be user-friendly and visually appealing. And the website should be easy to navigate so that users can find the information they are looking for quickly and easily.
The benefits of web design
Web design has come a long way since the early days of the internet. Today, web designers have a wide range of tools and technologies at their disposal to create beautiful and functional websites.
One of the most important benefits of web design is that it helps businesses establish an online presence. In today’s digital world, having a website is essential for any business that wants to compete. A well-designed website can help a business attract new customers and grow its brand.
Read Also: How To Learn Graphic Designing from Scratch
Another benefit of web design is that it enables businesses to deliver their message in a clear and concise way. A well-designed website will make it easy for visitors to find the information they’re looking for, whether it’s contact information, product details, or directions to your store.
Finally, web design can help businesses save money on marketing and advertising costs. A well-designed website can be a powerful marketing tool, helping you reach a wider audience with your message without breaking the bank. Read more about my most recent article which talks about the Top 10 Reasons Why Every Business Needs A Website.
What does good web design look like?
When we talk about good web design, we are talking about a design that is not only aesthetically pleasing but one that is also functional and easy for users to navigate. A good web design will take into account the user experience from the moment they land on the page, all the way through to when they leave.
Aesthetically, a good web design will be visually appealing and make use of whitespace, typography, and imagery in an effective way. The overall look and feel of the site should be cohesive and consistent, with a focus on delivering the right message to the user. A good website design must communicate a brand’s image, i.e, following the brand’s colors and many others.
Functionally, a good web design must be easy to use and navigate. All elements on the page should be clickable and there should be a clear hierarchy of information. The user should always know where they are on the site and what actions they can take next.
Ultimately, a good web design strikes a balance between form and function. It should be beautiful to look at while also being easy to use. If you can achieve these things, you’ll have a winning website in your hands.
What is the difference between web design and web development?
Web design and web development are two completely different disciplines that are often confused.
Web design is all about the look and feel of a website. It’s about creating a visually appealing site that is easy to use. Web designers use a variety of tools, including Photoshop, to create layouts and designs for websites.
In most cases, web designers will create the initial designs for a website, which will then be passed off to web developers to code into a working website. However, there are some cases where one person may wear both hats and handle both the design and development of a website.
Web design: what doesn’t work
There are a few key things to keep in mind when designing a website that will ensure its success.
Firstly, the layout should be easy to understand and use; if visitors can’t figure out how to navigate your site, they’ll quickly leave. This affects your website’s bounce rate which is not good for Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Secondly, all the important information should be easily accessible; if users have to search for what they need, they’re likely to give up and go elsewhere.
Finally, your site should be visually appealing; if it’s not aesthetically pleasing, users will again move on. Corporate branding is a very important part of every website and it must be taken into account.
With that said, there are certain design elements that simply don’t work well on websites. Here are a few of the most common offenders:
1. Clutter: A cluttered website is difficult to navigate and even harder on the eyes. When designing your site, less is definitely more – stick to a clean, simple layout that makes it easy for users to find what they need. Too much information is not supposed to be on the landing page, it sometimes annoys users.
2. Confusing Navigation: Your website’s navigation should be intuitive and easy to use; if it isn’t, visitors will likely get frustrated and leave. Make sure your navigation bar is clearly visible and that all your pages are accessible from there.
3. Auto-Playing Videos or Music: Nothing is more annoying than arriving at a website only to have videos or music start playing automatically. Unless you’re confident that your site’s content is truly compelling, it’s best to avoid auto-playing media altogether. Even if you are confident that your content is appealing, not everyone will like it. In fact, the majority of users hate it. The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) does not recommend media autoplay for websites. They discourage auto-playing media that produce sounds. It will interrupt people using screen-reader software.
4. Pop-Ups: Pop-ups when used the right way are good for capturing leads, and for showing relevant information to users. When implemented poorly, pop-ups become generally annoying and intrusive, so it’s best to not overuse them. If you must use them, make sure they’re relevant to your content and that they can be easily dismissed.
5. Slow Loading Times: These days, users have little patience for slow-loading websites. If your site takes more than a few seconds to load, chances are good that visitors will simply give up and go elsewhere. No user has that ample time to wait until your slow website loads as they can find the same information on a competitor’s website. To avoid this, make sure your site is optimized for speed and performance. If not, you will end up losing more clients.
6. Outdated designs: An outdated website design will make your whole business look dated. Make sure your site uses modern design elements and that it’s regularly updated with fresh content.
7. Poorly written content: Your website’s content is one of the most important elements, so it’s important to make sure it’s well-written and error-free. Be sure to proofread your content carefully before publishing it. Additionally, it is good to follow SEO best practices so you use keywords in the right direction. If you do not know anything about SEO, I advise you to get a digital marketer to do that for you. At, Maxibern, we have experienced SEO Copywriters who have over 5 years of working experience and are ready to work with you to make your website rank higher on Google and other search engines.
8. Stock photos or videos: Using too many stock photos or videos can make your website look fake and less trustworthy. Try to use original photos whenever possible, or at least be selective in the stock photos you do use.
9. Too much text: Nobody wants to read a wall of text on a website. Keep your content concise and to the point, and break it up with headings, subheadings, and images.
10. intrusive ads: Intrusive ads are those that are overly large or in-your-face, and they can be very off-putting to users. If you must use ads on your site, make sure they’re appropriately sized and placed so as not to overwhelm or annoy your visitors.
Best Web design tools
There are a variety of web design tools out there that are used by most Website Designers. Whether you’re looking for a simple drag-and-drop editor or something more advanced, there’s a tool out there that can help you get the job done. There are plenty of them but I will share with you the top six tools.
Here are some of the best web design tools available:
1. WordPress – WordPress is a popular content management system (CMS) that helps you easily create and manage your website’s content. With WordPress, you can create pages and posts, add media, and more. You can also find plugins to add additional features to your websites like contact forms, eCommerce, and more.
2. Wix – Wix is a popular drag-and-drop website builder that makes it easy to create professional-looking websites. With Wix, you can choose from a variety of templates and then customize them to match your brand. You can also add features like contact forms, eCommerce, and more.
3. Shopify: Shopify is an all-inclusive online selling platform and is a great option for small businesses of all sizes. For one monthly rate, businesses can create and develop an online store to promote, sell, and ship products. Shopify is the second most popular eCommerce store builder in the world, mainly due to its low barrier to entry. If you’re looking for an in-depth explanation of what Shopify is and how to use Shopify for your business, look no further.
3. Weebly – Weebly is another popular website builder that offers an easy-to-use platform for creating beautiful websites. Like Wix, Weebly has a variety of templates to choose from and also offers drag-and-drop customization. Weebly also has features like contact forms, eCommerce, and more.
5. Canva – Canva is an Australian Graphic Design tool, used to create flyers, posters, presentations, videos, social media graphics, documents, and many more. The software includes countless templates for both novice and pro graphic designers to use. This means that even if you have no graphic design knowledge, you can easily use the templates available on the platform to create your own designs that make sense. Canva offers a free trial for Pro users. If you don’t have one yet, kindly click here to signup for free or to signup for a 30 Day Free Trial of the Pro plan.
How to get your web design project done
There are a few things you need to do before you can get started with website design.
First, you need to have an idea of what kind of website you want. This will help you determine the overall look and feel of your site, as well as the specific features and functionality you’ll need. Once you have a good understanding of your goals for the site, you can start to put together a plan.
Next, you’ll need to choose a web design platform or hire the best website designer to get it done for you. There are many different options available, so it’s important to research and find the one that’s right for you and your project. Once you’ve selected one, all you have to do is to sit and relax as they give you an excellent touch.
Finally, once your site is designed, you’ll need to keep it updated from time to time. Always discuss it with your web developer. They may have a special plan for you.
Creating a website that works
By taking a hands-on role in your website’s design process, you’ll guarantee that you’ll get a website that meets or exceeds your expectations. Tell your web designer about your brand, your voice, and what you plan to achieve with the website. The more information they have, the more equipped they are to deliver the perfect web design for you. Explain your vision to them and then let them work their magic.
Web design is a complex and ever-changing field, but it’s important to have a basic understanding of the various elements that go into creating a website. Whether you’re looking to build a website yourself or hire someone to do it for you, knowing the basics of web design will help you communicate your vision more effectively. I hope this article has given you a better understanding of what web design is and how it works.
Want to get the perfect website for your business? Work with our talented designers to make it happen. Get started today!